Monday, November 26, 2007

DIR-655

As you know I bricked my ASUS doing firmware update. That sucked but
it was taking too much of my time to fix it so I got dust Microsoft
router from garage and here we go. I had to reboot it once a week or
so , but it worked.

My boss sent email about his new router and how cool it is and I saw
it one day in Costco. It also have WiFi N so will be handy when I get
new mac book.

First thing is CD: I do not know why I must but I tried: stupid stop
message about firewall I do not run. And even more stupid one to
contact ISP , yeah right ... I guess Comcast do run firewall but why
freaking roter care? Do not know. Anyway, I took cd out and conected
router old way. I bought it to save time and expected it just work .
Web UI was nice and clean, not perfect, but very responsive. It took
me some time to get my Mac and Pc see WAP and all was on. So far so
good. I also liked help on every item: even history note on TKIP
protocol and such.

The UGLY: my Toshiba laptop drops conection once a minute. Log say:
authentication and de-authentication. Googled: others have this. May
be my wifi card. Tried find new driver( yeah right - mind you my wifi
card is not intel that people belive have issue) so I wasted some more
of my time and tried all of many options from forum that d-link seems
to suggest. Nothing.. Still drops conection.

Packed it back... Conected my old router.

I love thing : just work . I like to play with h/w and s/w and do not
mind if something does not work. But when most of the things does not
I consider it waste of time. That for example why I did not instaled
Vista on computers I use myself and why I love iPhone :-)

Bottom line : D-link still sacks: just google for it;-)






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]