Sunday, January 06, 2008

Not so cool: new iMovie ( 08 !)

I was having fun with my new Mac and wanted to make a short DVD flick about Sea Fair 2007.
I lunched iMovie and tried to drop my clips ( made by my Olimpus 720 Photo Camera) - ironically, in hated by me so much QuickTime format - I only got this camera because it is water and shock proof. So... I try to drop clips from my Windows Home Server share - clips that OS X Finder can play and show ... But ... iMovie just do not see it. No drop. Hm ... I go to Import ... No... I copy files locally ... Same shit : NO. I read help and I go on-line and ... guess what ? iMovie just can not do that. They say : "it was not designed this way" FUCKING WHAT ? Why should I care about the way it was designed ?!!! I got clip from popular consumer camera in freaking Apple's format and I want to make a movie. I want it "Just work". Please !

I almost stopped to use my Tape DV camcorder and use clips from different "solid state" cameras these days and latest and greatest OS X shit will not make a simple flick for me out of this ? Hell what the fuck is going on ? Note: it is not some kind Bill Gates's file format: that is freaking QuickTime ( ohhhh... I hate QuickTime player SO FUCKING MUCH all this years, with RealPlayer being second to that - :-) ) So, they say you can BUY QuickTime *PRO* ( yeah, right) and do conversion : like for all my 100's of small clips. HELLLOOO!!! Good news : you can get old iMovie if you have new ( I do- got it with OS X.5). Good. Because old "iMovie HD" guess what: can import all these shit. WOW!


So I made this clip ( just chain of short clips, transitions and beginning and ending credits - simple) It took some time to import this shit ( to have proper frame by frame I guess) and well, iDVD could open it up... Cool... Done.

Another thing: iMovie only do HD: I still wonder how it goes to You Tube ...

Like... I still can not comprehend this .... Like ... WOW... How I suppose to make my clips for YouTube with Mac ? What Apple think about this ? I got my clips in iPhoto and I want to do some editing : minor... quick one and post on net... what application in iLife should I use ? Old Movie HD ? Heck... That is really stupid... SHAME :-) Get seriously guys, really ... Bokey ?

Note: Of course I can do want I want: I have many video editing tools, I have PC , but I wanted to do it "Apple way". Is new iMovie "design" a sign that Apple hired some guys from Redmond ;-) That know better what is good for me ( I probably should go and get HD solid state video camera with MP4 , right - black and cool one, my Olympus is so archaic )?

For now you need 2 versions of iMovie to do simple EVERYDAY thing: edit clip from your camera for your blog. It is free. Tomorrow : you have OS X Home ( can not edit Qt) and OS X Home Premium ( still can not edit Qt!) and OS X Ultimate ( Can edit Qt ... if you pay 20$ and get Qt pro!!!!) :-) Whoooo.... I have to wake up ... Matrix got me :-)





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]