Saturday, February 02, 2008

Darwin Award and Netflix Instant Browse

Oh, well... it was a Friday night and we were looking for flick to watch... All 3 DVD from Netflix were my wife's pick ( so sucked ... :-)) but she knew that so suggested me to pick one we both enjoy... Hm... I could not think about any, but then it hit me: let try this Netflix online. I brought my Laptop and connected it to projector and amplifier. Netflix wanted me to install some new crap, including new Media Player 11, so I did and after 30 minutes and reboot and then yet another update ... we were IN. I picked the first suggestion Netflix had for me, just to see how it will work. That was a lucky pick ! Flick name is "Darwin Awards" and from very first frames of it I knew it is a great show. I will not spoil it for you, but ... boy ... did we both lough like crazy during it and after and mornig after :-) My wife think it is a bit depresing, but I say, not really, it is fun. It is life. and .... " ... I did some thing !!!!" is not a bad last word one can say, right ? :-) Anyway... Netflix ... it WORKD !!! on my old XP Laptop over G WiFi. Full screen on 120'' , with big loud speakers. It was cool. It never stooped ( unlike say YouTube or Joost that never really worked for me) So, it look like both Netflix and Microsoft did a nice job with encoding and streaming. I do not know how many people use this , so I would guess servers not very loaded, but I hope it will scale: this is a terrific feature. Yeah, of course video was heavily compressed: blurry. But I like blurry versus blocky or jumpy. It looks smooth and natural and I can blow it to 120'' and still enjoy it. Sound : same thing. Compressed, but compressed well. Voice was perfect and lows were lows, so all effects were excellent. So , while it is not HD or even DVD quality, it is very pristine and usable. After all, what is REALLY matter is flicks itself and your convenience to get what you want NOW! It is unlikely that Apple TV 2.0 will support Netflix, so no free ride, dudes, but it will bring HD and 5.1 sound to you and nice fresh selection ( all major studios) and it will be much much sleeker then my old laptop ( with nice small remote). So... spending 4$ couple times a week: 32$ a month if you do not have TV does not sounds like much to pay for that fun: still much less then going to movies :-) ... Honey !!!! Where is my pop corn !!! :-)

Labels:






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]