Thursday, February 07, 2008

I got intimate with MacBook Air in Bellevue store yesterday( after taking my turn in line)

Air is perfect demonstration of first rule of marketing ( call it what it is not ): laptop is heavy. It is probably not really too heavy, but it plays mind trick on you: you think it should be lighter because of it dimensions, but it must be packed with electronic and that goes to weight.

It is a shiny chick Laptop and keyboard really nice, big touch pad is cool and screen is beauty. It is fun to scroll pictures with 3 finger swap, but after small rolling ball of mighty mouse it feels little bit like a waist of energy: it does not feels the same with my iPhone, where it is very appropriate and natural.

Personally, I like plastic smooth-square MacBook best and find that very much irregular shape of Air a bit disturbing: I would like it much better if it will have uniform thickness like iPhone and any other apple gadget. Call me old fashioned, but … there is some beauty in simple geometry and white color. It looks cool from top and inside so, just do not flip it over 

Ok, so they put no SSD models on display and 1.6 HD model is … not too fast. While memory only task are tolerable, you can feel slow down when applications lunch from HD. It is not too bad, but on the level that is already annoying and suck compare to any other Apple computer you can buy today. On daily base it can lead to frustration, frustration lead to anger … and you know where it goes 

Well, we all know it luck DVD and ports and cost a bit more, while not really much smaller or lighter then MacBook when you hold them together, as I did. MacBook looks sturdier and feels lighter in comparison, while it is a bit scary to hold Air in the Air when it open, as many PM do: It does not feels balanced and I do not know how much it likes to be droped.

As a hard core “must-have-this-new-cool-gadget” geek I sadly  have to pass on this one: I know my colleagues will die from envy if I buy it ( and they all expect I will!!!), but after novelty factor will quickly ware off I cannot see that one develops in long term love relationship as with my iPhone… 

Labels:






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]