Sunday, April 06, 2008

Here ... I write about things that sucks too :-) Today's morning was ruined by misbehaving h/w and s/w. I got nudged (pinged) again about very urgent one page print job, so I had to take actions: I run IT department in our house. First, my Samsung ML 2010 connected to Windows Home Server failed to produce quality print. It looked like it need a new cartridge. So I went to Staples and spend 80$ on it. When I put it back... it became worse : red light on printer. After voodoo manipulations and power sockets switch it did not became better. So i started to mediate, trying to get Zen ... It was between how I destroy almost new printer and should I get a new one, may be now in color. I like to put thing apart and have some experience with Laser printers ( Canon :-)) so I opened all doors and windows of device and started to look what wrong. Than I saw an alien object !!! I think one of my kids put it there. It was small transparent plastic ruler. Shit... I took it out and printer printed with old cartridge. Obviously I had old one open already. Well, may be old one is just shaken and will die soon, anyway. Not a biggie. Now we need to print from Windows over WiFi. It took some re-configurations, reboots and users rights to make it work. Like removing printer and adding it back. Well... Ok. So we got this one print and I was back t my beloved Mac Mini. Nope... Not printing !!! It was !

It show some stupid NT_ACCESS_DENIED even so I provided login and it can see SMB on my Windows Home Server for files. Shit ... Gooooogle.

Yeah !!! Apple screwed up it again. Last security fix ? I dunno. I eat tons of shit witH CUPS on OS X ( when it just hit the fan 10.1 ? 10.2 ?) But we are in 10.5 now... unexpected ... Apple tried realy hard to make it "just work for me". I tried everything and ... Goooooogled again. Here here !!!

"Does anyone know if a secure solution is going to be suggested?

This is my error log file:
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoappleps (PID 594)
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstocupsraster (PID 595)
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.1 (PID 596)
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Started backend /usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb (PID 597)
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Authenticated by "".
E 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
E 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
E 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Job 6 Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Saving printers.conf...
E 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 PID 597 (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb) stopped with status 2!
I 25/Mar/2008:16:10:58 -0700 Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
I 25/Mar/2008:16:11:01 -0700 Job 6 Backend returned status 2 (authentication required)
"

YEZZZ!!!!!


Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

That will be me! Me ! me !!!

And answer is

"I had the same problem and deleted the printers in question. I re-added the printers using the cups utility: http://localhost:631 using the URI: smb://username:password@domain/server/Printershare.
It works.
When the URI is displayed in the cups utility or from Preferences->Print and FAX the password is not visible. "

I have to explain my dear reader what it means:

1) You had "workgroup" printer or just added it in OS X. You entered your password in key chain when OS X asked. Looks cool. You print - NO LOVE. Show stupid message. But you see and can use your windows server from Mac. Ya?

2) You have to run Web UI for CUPS : http://localhost:631

3) You have to find your printer there ( last tab ?) and RECONFIGURE IT !

4) You need URL to be in form"smb://username:password@domain/server/Printershare" in my case it was "smb://server1:133/Samsung" and it have to be smb://Peter:12345@workgroup/server1/Samsung"

5) It worked for me, but half day were lost.

And this is good : my HP Photosmart driver will not even install under Windows Home Server. Fuck you HP!!!

My Canon CP100 ( photo die sub) - will "fight" with HP and they will kill each other: you have to kill some "agents" each company runs to print on ether one. Also, Canon need to be pinged by Canon Utility. It will not start printing without it. It is under XP.

It is ... just crap.

I worked for print company - large format and it was not much better :-)

I did not bought any printer THIS YEAR, but I doubt it is much better compare to couple years ago.

Making printers work seems to be such an easy thing... but ... no. :-)

Crap...

P.S. Did not tried WiFi network printers yet.

P.P.S. My Phtosmart used as "photo print station": it has LCD and fastest way to print photo is to copy back to memory card and insert in device. Use LCD and buttons to format and print. This works. But ... hey ...

P.P.P.S

URL

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1334197&tstart=45

Labels:






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]