Saturday, January 10, 2009

OS X Time Machine disk switching trouble

When I went to Japan I switched my Time Machine to smaller external disk, so I can still do backups on the go. It all worked well: new disk was empty. When I returned and tried to connect old disk back to Time Machine I got a funny message ( "You do not have appropriate access privileges ") about permissions. Quick google brought me to this web site

In a nut shell, running these simple command from terminal and entering password were about all it took to fix :

$ cd /Volumes/{volume name}
$ sudo chown $USER {file name}

Note: {volume name} and {file name} should be your Time Machine volume name and file reported in stupid dialog.

Before googling, stupid me tried to fix permissions using Disk Tool from Apple, but it did not found any issue after scan.

WTF? Apple?

Labels:






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]