Monday, April 06, 2009

Picking The Most Secure Platform: by Dino Dai Zovi

It is no wonder that Hackers recommend Mac and OS X for home users as more safe and easy to use :-)

You can also configure your Mac to be more secure ( not just more safe)

I alredy posted how I see Mac OS X "hardened" ( check my post below).

If you are extra paranoid, read NSA document :

Here are quotations from Tom's Hardware interview I found funny :

"Alan: If you had to make a recommendation: Mac, PC, or Linux? Or do you find them to be equally (in)secure?

Dino: For most consumers and home users, I recommend a Mac because they are currently targeted less by Web malware. They also tend to be easier to use so I get less tech support calls. If a user is slightly more technical and/or adventurous, I recommend that they give Ubuntu Linux a try. I recommend Windows Vista for businesses because it is a more secure operating system and better suited towards management in the enterprise"

Alan: I'm not surprised. Can you tell me about the computer you’re currently using as your primary system?

Dino: I use a number of computers on a regular basis, but they are almost all Macs. My main systems include a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro. I have been using Mac OS X primarily on my personal systems since around summer 2001.

Alan: Why a Mac when it's inherently insecure?

Dino: I'm a die-hard Unix user and Mac OS X is the most convenient and functional Unix-based operating system that I have ever used. I can code in a traditional Unix environment, watch a DVD, and use Microsoft Office all on the same system. The system just works and lets me get my job done.

I have tended to focus a bit on Mac OS X security since I often had a Mac in front of me and I enjoyed hacking on it. I also clearly have a vested interest in having a more secure platform on the machines storing my data."

Read a full interview here.

Labels:






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]